Looking to use SugarWOD to create a virtual gym and community? You can create a Gym Account on SugarWOD even if you don't have a physical gym location, and use this as your virtual community!
You can use your Gym Account to house your programming and create a community for your virtual clients. With the addition of some external services, you can create an integrated and automated experience for your users. See the steps below to get started!
*Please note: Following these steps, you will not be incorporated into the SugarWOD Marketplace. This article is for users wishing to run a virtual gym through SugarWOD outside of the marketplace.
Step 1 - Create your Gym Account
Start a Free Trial:
- Similar to physical gym locations, you can start a free two-week trial and sign up for a Gym Account if you have a virtual gym or community
- Go to www.sugarwod.com to start your free trial by clicking "Free Trial" in the upper righthand corner of the homepage
- Under the Gym Owners area, select "Start a Free Trial" button
For full instructions on starting a Free Trial, check out our FAQ here!
Create a Passcode:
Monitor who joins your virtual gym in SugarWOD by setting up a unique access code that is required to join.
- Log in to your SugarWOD account via the web app (on a laptop or desktop computer)
- Navigate to the Security Settings page from your Gym Menu (gear icon in the top left menu area)
- On the Security Settings page, select the Gym Access Code tab
- Select "Yes, an Access Code is required to join." Current athletes in your gym are not affected if you set an Access Code at a later date.
- Be sure to hit "Save Changes"!
Manage your Gym Info (Name, Logo, and App primary and secondary colors):
Build out the experience for your customers by adding your logo and customizing the app primary and secondary colors! Check out more info on that here.
*Please note: The steps below are optional and are not required to run a virtual gym on SugarWOD. Steps 2-5 below are intended for virtual gym owners that wish to use the tools listed below to create an integrated and automated experience for your users and accept payments. Though we may recommend certain services, we have no partnership with any of the following.
Step 2 - Set up Payment Processor
- You can use any payment processor that supports recurring payments. SugarWOD uses and would recommend Stripe.
- If you opt to use Stripe, you can set up a Stripe account by going to www.stripe.com and clicking ‘Start Now’. Fill out a few fields and you’ll be ready to accept payments.
- If the payment processor you choose has a public payments form, you can skip to step 4.
Step 3 - Set up Payment Form
- You will need a payment form to connect to Stripe. Here is a list of Stripe partners that support this (some Virtual Gyms on SugarWOD use Moonclerk - https://stripe.com/partners/moonclerk):
- Here is a full list of form building connections to Stripe: https://stripe.com/partners/apps-and-extensions?n=form-building
Step 4 - Set up Email Automation - ADVANCED (Optional)
If you plan to enter new users into email automation upon signing up, you can use any service that Zapier can connect with -- we use and would recommend MailChimp. We suggest initiating an automation immediately after a Payment Processor subscription creation with a welcome email. This automation template should include steps to access your programming such as:
Download SugarWOD from the App Store or Play Store
Register or Sign in
Join [Your Gym Name] when prompted to join a gym
Use code “Your Secret Access Code” that you have set up here when prompted
To get started, you will need to set up an Email Automation account. You can set up a MailChimp account by going to https://mailchimp.com/ and then Set up an Automation within MailChimp and assign the welcome email to a tag. This will allow you to assign that tag to your customer with the Add Subscriber To Tag Action through Zapier in the next step.
Step 5 - Connect Email Automation & Stripe via Zapier (Optional)
- To trigger this email when someone signs up you can create a Zap in Zapier here: https://zapier.com/apps/categories/email-newsletters. If you do not have a Zapier account yet you will need to create one and create a zap that connects a New Customer in Stripe to Add Subscriber to Tag
Can I offer more than 1 program at different price points using this setup?
- Yes, you can. However, you’ll need to make your tracks for each product private and move athletes in and out of those private tracks as they subscribe and unsubscribe. You can learn more about adding athletes to private tracks here.
If I update my gym code will athletes have to re-enter the code to access the programming?
- No, the code is only required for entry to the gym. As long as the athletes don’t leave your gym and have to re-enter, they will not be required to know the updated password and will have continued access to your programming.
What if someone cancels?
- You can remove canceled athletes from your gym by going to your athlete roster, selecting the athlete in question, and click ‘Remove from Gym’. If someone has access to multiple products and only cancels one, you can remove them from a specific private track. You can learn more about removing athletes here.
Please visit our Help Center or contact support at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information!
Article is closed for comments.